Do you think people should knit items for their pets (dogs, cats, smaller animals)?

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Toasty Hot Cocoa Hat

This hat reminds me of a cold snowy winter day, where you just come inside from shoveling or building a snowman and you have a nice cup of cocoa. Plus, I love the color, it reminds me of a milk chocolate bar. :) Another great hat for either a man or a woman. I created this for my boyfriend this Christmas. Hope you enjoy the pattern!

Photobucket

YOU WILL NEED:

Sz. 10 16" circulars.
Sz. 10 DPNs.
1 skein of Red Heart Soft Solids in a color of your choice. The one in the pictures is the skein of "Toast".
Yarn Needle to weave in ends when done.

TERMINOLOGY:
CO: Cast On
K: Knit
P: Purl
K2TOG: Knit 2 Together
St(s):Stitch(es)


THE BRIM:
Cast ON 80 sts.
Very simple, created using Seed Stitch. Seed until the brim measures 2 1/2".

THE BODY:
The body is created using knit and purl sts. I wanted to do another hat pattern that would be simple but to a non knitter would look complcated. ;) Sneaky, right? ;)

You're going to *K3, P1 and repeat from * with every row. Continue the K3, P1 pattern until the hat measures 6", excluding the brim.

DECREASING:

Remember to switch to your DPNs when things start becoming tight. For me, I switch hen I start decreasing at K4, K2TOG.

K7, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K6, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K5, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K4, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K3, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K2, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K1, K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.
K2TOG, REPEAT UNTIL END OF ROW.

Bind off, weave in ends. :)

Photobucket

You can continue working in the pattern as you decrease, until about you get to K3, K2TOG, then I recommend continuing with basic stockinette stitch. It creates a clean finish, and doesn't disrupt the pattern much.


Photobucket
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Your hat looks really nice with the seed stitch border and then the ribbing. I'm looking forward to trying your pattern. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I had fun making it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You har is really cute. Thanks you for sharing it. I cannot wait to try this out. This may seem like a bit of a stupid question but I'm a knitting noob so forgive my ignorance, please. All the tutorials for seed stitch that I've watched say you need to cast on an odd number of stitches for seed stitch in the round. How will casting on an even number, as your pattern says, affect that?

    ReplyDelete